Quotes of the day

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
- Helen Keller

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
but I have promises to keep,
and miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost



Thursday, May 31, 2012

Yukon

Sorry for the long gaps in posts.
I've been going through huge spans of territory with no cell or WiFi coverage.
(OR GASOLINE!!)
Now, I'm in Whitehorse, Yukon where I found a McCafe with WiFi.
Oh, and they have food as well. After riding 4 hours, I was ready for breakfast.
My body is still in Eastern Daylight Time. I go to bed around 10-11pm and wake up around 4:00am.

I don't know if you folks heard the news, but apparently the people up north used up all of their dark last winter. So now it's either daylight or twilight.
When I went to sleep last night, it wasn't dark. I woke up this morning hearing the birds singing, and saw the light coming through the tent - I thought I had overslept, and checked my watch.
It was 3:20am.
I lay there until 4:15 and broke camp and left.
Ever notice how it seems so cold crawling out of a warm sleeping bag in the morning?
When I first woke up, it felt really cold.
I finally got outside and checked the thermometer on the bike; it was 36F (2C).
But lots of sunshine today.

I thought I was in trouble yesterday coming through BC on the Cassiar highway when I knew I had enough gas to get to the town of Iskut (50 more miles), but checked with the GPS to see how far it was to the nearest fuel.
It told me to turn around and go back 140 miles.    =:-o
Fortunately, I found a tiny "resort" with gas pumps. I went inside and the guys said "We don't have any. He's supposed to bring some tomorrow."   But I was only 10 miles short of Iskut, and there was gas there.

Wildlife count today:
1 rabbit
1 moose
That was by 6:15am.


Off to Fairbanks, but it doesn't look like I will make it by tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment