Quotes of the day

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.
- Helen Keller

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
but I have promises to keep,
and miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost



Sunday, June 3, 2012

Prudhoe bay

I have arrived!
There is no camping allowed in Deadhorse (The Milepost book says the town is "overrun" with bears.)

Apparently, there is too much bear/human interaction in the town, and that sometimes turns into "problem bears"

It's 30 degrees F outside this morning.

Going to shower, eat, and try to get to Coldfoot for dinner tonight, then maybe camp at the Arctic Circle again.

No more updates until I get to Fairbanks.
I'll have to spend some time there getting an oil change and some other stuff.
The bike has had a rough time of it.
The Dalton has dished up mud, pavement, gravel, washboard and cobblestone surfaces.
Sometimes all that within a mile!
I've been keeping track of all the parts that fall off. The non-essential ones go in the pack for re-attachment back home and the important ones get fastened on with ty-wraps. So much mud on the bike that the kickstand has to be forced down AND up.And I've read that you can't wash vehicles in Prudhoe bay because it melts the permafrost??

I just hope that by the time I get off this road, I have enough bike left to get me home!
Hard to believe after all that happened on the Dalton, I now get to do it all over again going southward...


No comments:

Post a Comment